Sunday, March 08, 2009

Billabong Sanctuary!




I woke up at 6 o'clock this morning so I could get picked up to go to the Billabong Sanctuary -- which is a small zoo in Townsville. One of the rangers came to pick me and another volunteer up at Uni and I sat in the front seat with a young wallaby. The ranger that I was with is looking over the baby and brought it with her to work. His name is Arnie. Very cute little guy.
When I got to the zoo I helped clean the cages and feed the animals that were considered to be nocturnal. This mainly consisted of birds. I also helped with food prep -- which was pretty interesting. It started off as cutting up some fruit and getting seed and went to chopping up meat. The meat part was interesting but gross.
I learned how to hold a koala and how to pass it to another person to hold the way people do in pictures. Koalas have sharp claws and my left arm is all scratched up! I also learned how to hold a small croc. I was able to pass him to visitors at the zoo and let them hold him. I also watched some of their shows and information sessions about the animals. The croc show was very cool --- they are massive and waaaayyy cool!
I had a really good day at the sanctuary -- I am looking to do it every other sunday.
Hope you guys are doing well! Take much care.
Pictures:

1. Arnie running around while we were eating.
2.
Hanging out with one of the koalas.
3.
Arnie in his cloth pouch! He just chills in there --- very cute!
~*~ Random note about koalas. Koalas can only be held for 30 mintues throughout the day. (I think that they made take a few days off or something in between handlings) We had a stop watch so we knew how long they were out for! Also, they sleep about 20 hours a day! What a life.

3 comments:

  1. Awe, it looks like a lot of fun! What an experience. Why can koalas only be held for 30 minutes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! that is so amazing!! as you already know, im totally jealous!! yea, why can they be held for only 30 minutes? then they have 3.5 hours to eat before they fall asleep? ;) ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not too sure why, I think that it is more of a stress thing towards them. (Since they are only awake for 4 hours a day, taking 30 minutes away from that can be a lot for them) I found this on a website...
    "In Queensland, koalas can only be cuddled for less than 30 minutes per day. They must also get every fourth day off."

    ReplyDelete