Sunday, March 22, 2009

Billabong Sanctuary - Day 2!






Today was my second day volunteering at the Billabong Sanctuary! (Last weekend I wasn't feeling too well, so I didn't go) Today was a really fun day! :)
I started off during the nocturnal animals again like last time. There were sugar gliders, emus, curlews, and various other birds. We also rake the paths because it gets cluttered with leaves and just makes it look cleaner. What is awesome about Billabong is that it has a very natural setting. It has dirt paths and trees are all over -- it seems like you are just walking around out in nature and seeing animals in enclosures.
What I really liked was when I helped with the shows and animal pictures. I worked at the cash register for the wombat and koala photos and helped to put them in cardboard frames of the sanctuary for them to take home. I was able to hold a blue tongued stink along with a shingleback stink. ( I attached an image of the shingleback that I found on the web) I mainly held the shingleback, named Gus, and passed him off for other people to hold. It was very cute! I also held a black headed python named Skinny and handed it off to other people to hold. It was amazing at how many little kids were holding him! There were some who couldnt have been older than 3 or 4 years old who were giving it a go! It was nice to see some brave kids!
Once again Arnie drove around in the car with us! He is needing his bottle less and is getting used to eating normal food! He is getting so grown up.
Next weekend I am going to volunteer as well! I am looking forward to it.
Take care everyone!
Pictures:
1. Arnie and I and Katie in the background being silly! Looks like I am eating his ear or something.
2. Katie and I walking to lunch.
3. Where we prepare our food! There are also snakes, baby crocs, and tarantulus in cages the room as well.
4. Standing in front of a Billabong Sanctuary sign.
5. Picture of a shingleback stink I got online -- they feel pretty cool!

2 comments:

  1. Arnie is adorable. You are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks Nicole! Yeah, he is amazing! It is such a great experience to be there!

    ReplyDelete