Saturday, February 28, 2009

Swim Carnival and The Strand




Pictures:
1. McDonalds. 5am! Bars can be open pretty late as well, even though other things close pretty early here, unless it is thursday.
2. Wring Australia in the sand at The Strand.
3. Swimming Carnival!
4. At the carnival with two of my friends. The yellow stuff on my face is Zinc. Sporting the colors of George Roberts Hall! :)
The swim carnival went well, but I dont know how well my residence hall did. One of the events of the day was to see how many people from your residence hall could get across the pool in 5 mintues. The trick was that only 4 people could be in the pool at a time. Another event that cool was the clothes race. You put on a hat, shirt, and shorts over your swim suit (or Togs, in Australian slang) and you had to give them to the next person after you swam a lap.
I went to The Strand this evening with some friends. The Strand is a beach front along the ocean. It is full of playgrounds, piers, areas to swim, statues, and other random things. It was nice to walk along and hear the ocean. We stopped at a gelato shop, which is a type of ice cream shop. I got three different flavors - mango, passion fruit and cherry.
Tomorrow I am going to hike Castle Hill. At the top you can see a view of Townsville!
Here are some other interesting things:
Mackers = McDonalds
Mozzies = Mosquitos
When you push a button to go aross the street it will make a noise to let you know when you can cross.
On the bottom of Queensland licence plates it either says "The Sunshine State" or "The Smart State"
They have Cold Stone here but it is called Cold Rock.
You cannot find Reeses here.
Hope that all is well! Let me know what you guys are up to!!
Cheers and take care!

2 comments:

  1. You always have some of the coolest trivia around! I'm so glad that you are having a good time. You'll have to let me know how your classes are going. Everything is the same here, we just got six inches of snow on Thursday. It's supposed to "warm up" to the forties next weekend. Nothing like what you have there, I'm sure! I'm jealous--I love gelato! Have fun & I'll talk to you soon, I hope! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Nicole! I love your posts! They make me so happy!! :) Thanks for taking the time to do that. I am sending you some warm weather... we have enough of it here! Take much care my dear. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete