Sunday, May 24, 2009





Just thought that I would check in and share some stories and photos.
I volunteered at the Billabong Sanctuary on Saturday - It was pretty awesome, as usual. I love the Australian critters! I dont know if it is because they are so new and unique or what.... but they are great! Volunteering there has been one of my favorite experiences since I have been here. Doing things like being able to work with koalas by learning how pick them up and hold them has been very rewarding. The people that I work with are great --- so friendly and always cracking jokes.
Last night I had a cocktail party in my room with some friends. It was really fun to be able to get everyone together before finals start. We got dressed up and made drinks like Pina Coladas, Fire Engines and Vodka Sunrises. One of my roommates and his friend hung out with us towards the end -- which was pretty cool to spend time with him and have him enjoy the event.
This is the last week of classes then there is a week to study and then a week for finals. So about 3 more weeks in Townsville -- I think that it is crazy we will all be leaving soon. So many friends and memories were made here.
I dont know too much about my plans school -- I know for sure I am going to stay with a family friend in Brisbane for a while and visit the Australian Zoo with my friend Annie (she goes to the University of Minnesota with me and we are both studying at JCU) and her brother. Then I may go to Bayron Bay - the most eastern point of Australia and famous for its surfing. Depenidng on money, I may take part in surfing. My plane leaves from Sydney on the 7th of July. I am going to be there for a few days with Annie and her brother and we are going to met up with one of our Aussie friends who leaves in a suburb of Sydney. We plan to go to the Taronga Zoo and sightsee with Opera House and the bridge. I need to finalize my plans soon so I can start to plan out buses and plane tickets.
Hope that things are going well with everyone! Thanks for stopping by - take much care!
p.s. Here are some more Aussie terms:
rock up = arrive
ranga = red head (refering to orangutans)
fringe = bangs of your hair
maths = math (abbr. of mathematics .. just adding and s at the end)
Ay = beg your pardon.
spew = throw up
trolley = shopping cart
tomato sauce = ketchup
gridiron = american football
mobile = cell phone

No comments:

Post a Comment