Sunday, April 05, 2009

Long time no post!






G'day everyone!
Sorry that I haven't written in a while -- I have been pretty busy and I was on a field trip for the weekend.
School has been going well and my classes have been interesting. I am taking Conservation Biology, Rainforest Ecology, Psychology and Australian Vertebrate Fauna. This weekend for my rainforest ecology class we went to a placed called Paluma. It is a rainforest about an hour away from campus. We arrived in the early afternoon on friday and got back to campus around 4 today (sunday). The reason why we went there was to do reseach. I was in a group with two of my friends and we did research on Pothos longipes, a species of vine. We ended up doing research, went to Crystal Creek (where there are water falls), and to Frosty Mango to have some amazing ice cream!
The following is a website about Paluma in case you are interested.
http://www.palumarainforest.com.au/
With the reserach we are doing, we are trying to figure if height or root number of the vine effects the size of vessels in the vine. We collected a variety of lengths of the vine along with number of roots and now we just have to make slides of the roots and stems to see the vessel diameter.
I dont have a whole lot going on this week. A lot of it is just working on papers and studying for tests. I plan on volunteering at the Billabong Sanctuary this weekend.
Pics:
1. Blurry.. but it is a cool picture of a tree with Buttresses! (The planks coming off the sides)
2. Tree IDing
3. The wildlife were the ones standing in front of the sign... ;)
4. Cool tree with a hole in the middle.
5. Looking up a huge gum tree!!

No comments:

Post a Comment